On the network

Hey everyone - thought I’d ask around.
I’ve heard/seen footage of Big Brother taking over train stations in Sydney & Perth.
Since BB is in Queensland, any sign of promotion like the video below at Central/Roma Street or even in the Gold Coast stations?

1 Like

You think there would be the capacity for that with our current rail infrastructure? The three-track section from Boggo Road to Kuraby (post LGCFR) makes me doubtful about this. We would either have to bulldoze houses along said corridor for a 4th track, or build a completely new Perth-style railway line along the M3.

1 Like

I saw a few BB posters at some bus stops, the one on Alice St right next to the parliament house and QUT in particular (as I remember correctly).

2 Likes

Not sure where to post this so thought I’d try here. From what I can see the Gold Coast services are very busy all day, and there seems to be a fair bit of local travel on the line as well as to and from Brisbane. 30 minute service frequencies really don’t cut it.

I know that between Beenleigh and Brisbane running a 15 minute timetable is very difficult if not impossible with the current infrastructure, but I was wondering if in the meantime it would be possible to run shuttle services between Beenleigh and Varsity Lakes in between the services to Brisbane so that there is at least a 15 minute frequency on the Gold Coast stations until there is more capacity north of Beenleigh.

So my question is, does anybody know if this is possible with the current infrastructure? I suspect any issue would be to do with Beenleigh, but was just curious anyhow.

2 Likes

Just catching the Gold Coast Train from Altandi, and I can confirm that this change caught a lot of people out! No one expects a Gold Coast Train departing from Platform 3!

Being a Gold Coast Train stopping all stations is interesting too.

1 Like

Any passengers left behind?

I don’t think so, just a lot of people going back and forth over the bridge. The QR woman at the station did announce the change in addition to the standard pre arrival announcements, but her Indian accent combined with the “quality” of the intercom didn’t help her in getting the message across.

3 Likes

Catching a red train from Nerang just doesn’t feel right!

And yes, trains to the Gold Coast are shown as yellow, but trains from the GC to Banoon are being shown as red.

2 Likes

I’ve often thought it could be useful to run branches as local shuttles followed (in some cases) by urban centres built around the stations. I think the future Sunshine Coast line should operate like this and other branches could be considered.

1 Like

People are better off transferring to the 130/140 at Altandi to get to the inner city.

I’m on the 563 to Beenleigh station. It originates at Logan bus station and takes 30 mins. Not sure if I will go this way again though., as it winds through the streets of Eagleby.

1 Like

It would be a cool oddity if it weren’t for the fact that almost every weekend for the last two years or so have been like that, turning a simple 1:20hr rail journey to Central into an almost TWO HOUR one.

image

1 Like

The 563 is the worst of the three routes between Loganholme and Beenleigh. It used to be that the 565 was the best taking about 10 minutes, followed by the 553 taking about 20 minutes, and then the 563 taking closer to 40 minutes. However, with the 565 having been rerouted through Loganholme to mirror the 553 route, those two are now no better or worse than one another. The 563 still sucks though.

2 Likes

Family member heading home on R599, got on at Ann St fortunately. Platform 1 Roma St is chaos! Rail buses and the usual route buses.

4 Likes

There’s an EMU sitting in the sheds at mayne. Not the place you park something thats destined for long term storage and scrapping.

Are they now at such shortages that there’s a chance of one coming back?

Had an odd one last night on the Redcliffe line inbound towards the city. Around 6pm

After Petrie, the train skipped Lawton, Bray Park and Strathpine without any announcements until we sailed past Strathpine and then announcement said it was for operational reasons.… perhaps the driver was imagining a new express service…

Thankfully there was a train coming the other direction not long after to scoop and return some of the pax who missed their stops. Unlucky if you wanted to travel into the city.

Further highlights how useful 15m all day frequencies would be. In the event of a cancellation, only another 15m to wait…. We can only dream right… I just hope they have a solid plan in place to get these frequencies sometime this decade.

5 Likes

Emergency services were called to Mayes Ave in Kingston, Logan, where a car had left the road and rolled onto train tracks before being hit by an oncoming train about 10.30pm on Saturday.

Approximately 100 train passengers and the train driver were uninjured and declined assessment, Queensland Ambulance said.

A second train was also stopped as a result of the crash, with three Queensland Fire and Emergency crews working until midnight to help remove the wreckage of the car.Passengers from both trains waited for a new train to collet them on the opposite track.

Firefighters reportedly used a makeshift bridge to get passengers onto the new train.

Queensland Rail said Gold Coast and Beenleigh lines were suspended between Banoon and Beenleigh and replaced by buses.

Services on the lines resumed about 5.30am on Sunday.

2 Likes

It’s very lucky that there were no fatalities. You can actually see that the train derailed in this image.

Kudos to QR and the emergency services for getting it all cleared by 5:30am the next morning :clap:

4 Likes

Video

An NGR getting washed at Normanby this morning.

4 Likes

Don’t know where to put this so…