Cross River Rail (CRR)

Hope Island confirmed opening May 18 :tada:

8 Likes

Good news! Now just have to hope there’s enough trains to service a timetable for the new station…

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/DX_UvwFGOB-/

1 Like

Bus services are basically the bare minimum for now.

Existing 725 which passes by is split into 2. Northern end now goes to Sanctuary Cove instead of Helensvale (still as Route 725), southern end from Helensvale now goes to the currently unserved Sickle Ave area as Route 709. I haven’t checled exhaustively but I think both run a bit later into the evening now than the current 725.

Route 711 appears to take the same route as before south of the Hope Island shops but now goes to Hope Island station instead of Sanctuary Cove. Shortworkings added between the Runaway Bay shops and Hope Island station to give 30 minute headways on that stretch for weekday mornings and afternoons. Span of hours uplifted a bit.

Route 727 changes fix a longstanding gap in coverage in the Brygon Creek area. Span of hours still awful.

Route 718 changes only slightly by adding 2 small deviations. Frequency and span still awful.

1 Like

Every time I walk past or through I love the design even more, especially if you start to think about the tiers from street to the old station to the parkland and then the sky, when you ride a bike around and past it for the Roma Street to Victoria Park circuit you just fall in love with the City. I’ve gotten some great photos of this under appreciated vista.

How I feel about the rest of Roma Street though, lol, there’s a pretty hostile fenced road and pretty rundown North Quay that needs some thoughts.

2 Likes

The acoustics shed at Roma Street is close to being completely removed.

Some photos of the precinct from the other weekend too.

7 Likes

I went home via Roma Street Station last night for the first time in a while, and I have to say that the landscaped plaza area makes quite an arrival statement when arriving via George Street on the Courts side - moreso that I had previously expected.

iPhone Photo 20.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 20.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

Meanwhile, here are some photos of the Albert Street Station and former acoustic shed site this morning:

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

iPhone Photo 21.05.2026 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

8 Likes

As a user of the Redcliffe peninsula line I’m now upset that I will be getting a one seat ride to Woodridge of all places :sob:

2 Likes

I’m sure the good people of Woodridge don’t want you there either…

8 Likes

Once Exhibition station links up with Cross River Rail to form Sector 1, is it possible they’d rename Exhibition to the suburb - either Bowen Hills West, Herston or Spring Hill?

No, it will be known as Exhibition.

I don’t think they would go for any suburb name.

While Exhibition does sit in Bowen Hills, having a second “Bowen Hills”- named station I feel would only cause confusion, especially for people not familiar with Brisbane (like Olympic visitors). It is also in the far south western corner of the suburb, right at the very edge, and is also very close to the point where Bowen Hills, Herston, Spring Hill and Fortitude Valley all meet - one of those areas where there may be general confusion about what suburb it sits in.

I don’t think any suburb name really suits the station’s location, but the Showgrounds is enough of a landmark in its own right to make the Exhibition name recognisable to the public.

3 Likes

I wouldnt call exhibition herston or spring hill. Its close tp both buts not really either. Herston busway station (old RCH) suits it far better

As I said, the station IS in Bowen Hills, as is the entire Showgrounds, but it is right on the edge of the suburb.

If you walk out to Bowen Bridge Road and cross it to the North of the ICB/rail line, you’re in Herston. Walk down to the Old Museum south of the ICB/rail line and cross, and you’re in Spring Hill. Walk out to Gregory Terrace and cross to the west of Costin Street and you’re in Fortitude Valley.

Looks like signage is already being put up early at Albert street :eyes:

I thought signage at the surface would be the last thing they would put up considering it’s still years away from opening. (Snuck this shot over the temporary construction barrier).

5 Likes

If Exhibition gotta be Bowen Hills…

The current one can be Mayne as it what was the arra used to be for. Or Newstead, thats a short few mins away from the edge

1 Like

Surely the obvious issue with the name “Exhibition” is that the word itself is confusing in a public transport sense? Especially considering many services from the South will be terminating there and would presumably be branded as “Exhibition” services.

“In public transit, an “Exhibition” service typically refers to a specialized, event-based transport option—such as a dedicated shuttle train or bus—designed to carry large crowds directly to and from a major event, festival, or convention.” - wikipedia

So it’s clearly going to be confusing to anyone not familiar with the network, and blatantly has to change before CRR operations begin. An easy fix is simply “Showgrounds”, or “RNA Showgrounds” or even “Ekka”. Agree that a Bowen Hills related name is inappropriate.

2029 they said.
I’m skeptic if we’re seeing the signage go up now

Even “Ekka” might be confusing for some people, especially if the show isn’t on at the time, and for those new to Brisbane. Victoria Park might be an option, certainly more nice sounding than ‘Exhibition’. Another alternative is ‘Herston’. If a station did get built at a later date to service the new stadium, that station could be called ‘Brisbane Stadium’ or simply perhaps ‘Stadium’.

1 Like