Cross River Rail (CRR)

I’ve always thought there was a 70% chance this was political BS to magically open it up leading up to the election and claim how they “brought it back on track from Labor’s mess” or something.

3 Likes

Considering it is north of Fortitude Valley, let’s just call it Fortitude Valley North

I think you are overthinking it.

it’s fine as Exhibition. There also won’t be terminating trains here as far as I understand. Nathan or others might be able to correct me here or elaborate on this as they are more across the detail.

1 Like

Exhibition is fine by me too. I think there is a case though to consider the possible renaming of Central in a CRR world.

7 Likes

So all northbound morning peak services will continue on to Redcliffe/Caboolture & none will go into the yard?

I’m not a fan of exhibition because we have a Brisbane Exhibition Centre in South Brisbane. I’d personally have gone for Brisbane Showgrounds, Victoria Park or whatever stadium precinct name they go with. I think given that the station will deal with a lot of eventgoers that aren’t familiar with Brisbane, it’s important to be crystal clear about what venue they are arriving at lest they think “no we’re not going to the exhibition centre, it must be another stop”.

Then again you could go back and forth forever and I’m sure there would have been a lengthy committee discussion to arrive at it. Not worth the hassle.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced they would have tbh. When Exhibition was built Victoria Park Stadium wasn’t confirmed yet. Now it is

If they build a new station to help cope with Olympic crowds, I’d name this Olympic Park as per Sydney.

Re exhibition, we can’t worry about two weeks of tourists and getting confused between exhibition station and Brisbane convention and exhibition centre. They’ll figure it out.

To be exact, what we have in South Brisbane is the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, generally referred to as either the “Convention Centre” or the “BCEC.” I have never heard anyone refer to it as the “Brisbane Exhibition Centre”, ever.

Just for some context, Exhibition Station is named that because what we know today as the Brisbane/RNA Showground was originally called the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds.

If it absolutely has to be renamed, which I don’t feel it needs to be, updating “Exhibition” to “Brisbane Showgrounds” is probably the most straightforward.

I believe the general intention is to run complete thru services, with no Exhibition terminators except maybe during major events.

I still feel that renaming Central presents difficulties from a heritage perspective, given the physical use of the name on the building’s heritage fabric, and the cultural memory issues of changing a name that has been in use for over 130 years.

I would strongly urge that “Central” remains part of the name for these reasons. Be it something like “Old Central Station” “Brisbane Central” or a combined “Brisbane Central - Anzac Square.”

2 Likes

I’d be astonished if trains did not go out of service at Exhibition in the AM peak. There won’t be a need to run up to 20+ trains counter-peak, and if you did there aren’t that many useful intermediate terminating locations for them.

In the off peak and on weekends I don’t see any regular need for it except the earliest southbound or latest northbound services which leave or return to the yard.

What I am hopeful about is that more trains will continue as counter-peak services than is presently the case (in particular that it isn’t just a paltry 15 minute headway).

3 Likes

Or what if you rename Exhibition station ‘Showground’ because that’s what the station served all times of day of the year

1 Like

You could do that if you really needed to. I would specify it as being the Brisbane Showgrounds though, as there are other showgrounds within the region.

As in my above post, Exhibition Station is named that because what we know today as the Brisbane Showground was originally called the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds.

1 Like

Absolutely. There’s been huge investment in rebuilding Mayne with a dedicated section (East) for the CRR sector (18 x 6 car roads IIRC) that is only accessible from the Exhibition side. Taking the extra northbound AM peak services out here makes the most sense.

Also, given there are more stabling spaces south of the river than north (e.g. 27 at Clapham Yard), there may be some trains at the end of peak terminating at Exhibition to run (in service or out of service) back to Clapham.

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

A. I don’t think its necessary to change the station’s name; the name makes sense given the history and no casual person is going to misinterpret a train destined for Exhibition as being a public exhibition train rather than a commuter service.

B. If we had to rename it, the only reasonable solution is Brisbane Showgrounds. None of the locality criteria work: it’s physically in Bowen Hills and too detached from anywhere meaningful to take on Spring Hill or Herston or Fortitude Valley West and its not in Victoria Park (nor should we pretend that it is). The Showgrounds are a readily identifiable location exactly where the station is.

It could just be named Showgrounds: half the number of syllables compared to Exhibition!

If you renamed it Showgrounds, you really should be specific, as there are multiple Showgrounds across Brisbane and SEQ - Mt Gravatt, Rocklea, Brookfield, Samford, Cleveland, Pine Rivers, Caboolture, Redcliffe Beenleigh and Ipswich all have their respective Showgrounds.

5 Likes

Brisbane Central - Anzac Square would be fine by me.

4 Likes

I hope they do rename Central Station once CRR is open. It doesn’t make sense geographically (Albert Street will be the most centrally-located station in the CBD) or operationally (Roma Street will be the main hub for all trains). It’ll only make sense historically. My preference is to name it after Anzac Square since that’s the most recognisable landmark near the station. If that means the name has to be hyphenated (e.g. Brisbane Central - Anzac Square) then so be it.

Another option that I don’t think anyone else has brought up yet is naming it ‘Ann Street station’ to fit with the names of the other two stations in the CBD (Roma Street and Albert Street stations). However, Anzac Square is my preference.

1 Like

Everyone knows what they mean by “Exhibition”. I really don’t see a need to change it.

6 Likes

Good. It’s crazy the amount of outbound trains that are running out of service whilst counter peak direction is on off peak frequency