Cross River Rail (CRR)

I would rename Central to Anzac Square (Due to its proximity), and Albert Street to Meanjin (Indigenous name of Brisbane)

And I would also rename Roma Street station to Queen Elizabeth, named after the late Queen Elizabeth II.

1 Like

Yeah, really strongly disagree.

Anyone not familiar with Brisbane or an unfamiliar user of the network (which is a not insignificant % of users) could easily be confused by having a number of services on the PID screen labelled as “Exhibition” services.

A big problem with the SEQ rail network is route legibility. It’s not a simple case of Red line, blue line, pink line, and I know if I’m at this platform I know I’m going to get to where I want to go.

Removing something obviously confusing like “Exhibition” labelled services is low hanging fruit.

Brisbane Showgrounds is much cleaner.

Bowen Hills - no change

Exhibition - Victoria Park RNA

Rbwh - Bowen Bridges

Central - Anzac Square or Spring Hill or Old Central

Albert St - Central

Roma Street - Meanjin

Sydneys Central isnt in the heart but on the southern edge kinda like ours on the western edge

1 Like

IMO QR should have:
Roma Street
Albert Street
Anzac Sqaure
Brisbane Showgrounds
Bowen Hills

1 Like

Let’s calm down people. The only name that will change (and this is not guaranteed) would be Central to Anzac Square. No need to waste money on any other name changes.

3 Likes

The reason Meanjin wasn’t given as an option for the name of Albert Street Station is that it is NOT the universally accepted Indigenous name for Brisbane. Despite being the most widely known Indigenous name for the city, it is increasingly losing its position as the preferred Indigenous name for Brisbane. Long story short, there are issues with the Meanjin name that relate to pronounciation of the term, the given meaning of the term (“place shaped like a spear”), the tribes from which the words were derived and the transliteration of the words into English.

The increasingly preferred name is Magandjin, which has the meaning of Tulipwood District, for trees that originally grew heavily around Gardens Point.

As for renaming Roma Street, I think too much time has passed to rename anything else to honour the late QEII. She already has the Courts and a hospital, which I think is adequate.

The last thing you want is Albert Street being called Central. The issue around Central being called Central is that is will no longer be a 'Central" Station, as in a station through which all train services pass. Also, while Central may not be geographically central, I would argue that Albert Street isn’t really either. However, if you include Spring Hill, which is increasingly just an extension of the CBD, Central Station does become much more geographically central.

2 Likes

I don’t particularly favour any renaming of stations in or around the CBD at this point. I think the low hanging fruit have all been done. What is the compelling reason for the rest?

The only station that I think should be renamed is Thomas Street, as it bears no visible association with the area beyond being the name of a street the railway bisects. The similar older examples (Park Road for instance) have already been done - the remaining “# Street / Road” stations are all either inner city or the street name makes the location unambiguous.

Some of the GCLR 1 stations really should have been given better / less ambiguous names too. “Queen Street” could easily have been “Wardoo Street”, and anecdotally some people aiming for the middle of Surfers get off at “Surfers Paradise” when they actually need “Cavill Avenue”. I think that ship has sailed though.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree. There are also issues around which groups are actually authoritative / competent to “speak for Country”, what positions they hold about what places are called / how they are transliterated into the English alphabet, and that there has historically (and even now) been less than robust engagement with any groups regardless of their legitimacy. BCC’s reusing the old first generation Citycat names for 8 of the 10 fourth generation ferries is an example of the latter: New CityCat ferries to have the same Indigenous names as the ones they replace - ABC News

I think “Barrambin” would be a good name for an Olympic station if that name or some version of it actually has broad acceptance. These things can’t be assumed though.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, DC’s Metro is one of the great ones of the world! :+1:

Roma Street Station is looking real nice now. It looks like Busway Platform 2 has a new set of travelators going up to it, which I didn’t know about.

13 Likes

Great pics. Are these all of the busway area? What is with the 2 platform 2’s? It is hard to read but it looks like it says platform 2 buses, platform 2 trains?

That makes sense, as they have effectively separated the busway portion of Platform 2 from the train section - two separate access points.

Why not just have platforms 1-2 for buses, and 3-12 (inc CRR) for trains ?

If the two platform 2s were separated, it would be Platforms 1-13.

Given how infrequently Rail Platform 2 is actually used, it probably wasn’t considered worth it to rename the entire station (with the time, effort and cost required to adjust all the signage, the timetables, etc).

1 Like

Is both busway platforms available without the silly detour yet? IIRC it was opening soon

It could quite easily be called platform 0 (a la Lidcombe and other places).

4 Likes

Not yet, but it can’t be far off:

Maybe we could rename the busway and train sections of platform 2 to platforms 2a and 2b respectively, like what’s done at Southern Cross station in Melbourne.

4 Likes

Maybe install a fence across the side with the train and have 1&2 as buses, 3-9 as Sector 1 & 2, 10 as Traveltrain and 11 & 12 as Sector 3

That is looking nice! I really hope that they revamp the rail platforms as well as they seem to be looking quite tired and the design doesn’t match the rest of the station now.

1 Like