Reading some history on the Tennyson Line, incl pre-Merivale bridge, removal as a passenger line (June 2011), and continued use for freight to/from the port, etc …
So dropping this line for passengers was due to low numbers so didn’t make sense to keep the service - fair enough. QR has also now removed the line from all network maps (or at least passenger facing-maps) but I’ve read that there has been petitions and requests to re-open it for passengers. The QR response, if I have it right, was that maintenance and opening new stations and service would be too costly (for any gain). But why would any new stations be required? Re-opening Tennyson station would cost a lot, so don’t re-open this station (the tennis centre is serviced by the Yeerongpilly station). Given the lines are electric and some maintenance is ongoing already, as QR use the line to shift trains between the GC and Springfield/Rosewood due to CRR disruptions or other reasons (no passengers onboard). I’ve looked up the track info and if I have that right, there is no need for any new tracks or stations for the following …
So here’s my proposal - create a looping circuit, stopping all stations between Roma st to Sherwood, then transit the Tennyson Line to Yeerongpilly, then onto Dutton Park/Boogo Rd and back to Roma St via the Merivale bridge. A single train (6 car set) leaves every hour on the hour from Roma St and loops back to Roma St using the existing tracks and stations listed above (stopping all stations). With the new ETCS system, trains can be integrated (shared tracks where needed) and more closely operated. I’m sure there’s complications but with some brain power (and AI), it’s surely a possibility (or get something close to it - may be hold at certain stations or skip one or two as required for integration and avoid issues with express trains, etc). It could be painted maroon/blue/gold (thinking Lions) so it could be easily ID on track. I live in Taringa and work in Dutton Park so would use it to get to work. But right now I’d need to go to Roma, change trains to a southern train and it would take 40 to 54 min* (Nambour vs Kippa-ring, as both lines go to Roma) and 54 min journey is due to having to walk from Boggo Rd.
*It’s the Q3 hols, so Dutton Park isn’t open but would shave a few minutes off (bar the extra stop to the next station/Dutton Park).
Thoughts?